Denbies Wine Estate, Surrey
There are hundreds of commercial vineyards in England and many are in the South East. The chalk soil similar to that of the Champagne region of France, warm dry climate and south facing slopes near the coast are ideal for producing quality still and sparkling wines.
Top ten vineyards in South East England
South East England is fast becoming a mecca for English sparkling wines with the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs granting protected regional status for Sussex sparkling wine. A panel of experts even favoured wine produced by Vineyards from Sussex above champagne in blind taste tests.
- Rathfinny Wine Estate. Polegate, East Sussex
- Denbies Wine Estate. Dorking, Surrey
- Hambledon Vineyard. Waterlooville, Hampshire
- Bolney Wine Estate. Haywards Heath, West Sussex
- Ridgeview Wine Estate. Ditchling, West Sussex
- Sedlescombe Organic Vineyard. Robertsbridge, East Sussex
- Hush Heath Winery. Tonbridge. Kent
- Albourne Estate Vineyard. Hassocks, West Sussex
- Chapel Down Winery. Tenterden, Kent
- Barnsgate Manor Vineyard. Uckfield, East Sussex
Wine tasting tours
The 265-acre Denbies Wine Estate in Dorking, Surrey, is one of the biggest vineyards in England. It has many award-winning wines and an excellent visitor centre and shop, art exhibitions, restaurants and tours.
Private tailored wine tasting experiences and iconic Saturday wine nights showcasing the finest bottles are available at The Vineyard Hotel in Berkshire. And after all that indulgence, why not take advantage of one of the luxury suites to spend the night?
If you fancy yourself as a real wine connoisseur try to visit the South East during the English Wine Week, which takes place every May and attracts visitors from far and wide to a multitude of themed events and special offers.
When there are so many prized vineyards in England to choose from, especially with those superior ones here in the South East, why rush overseas to experience fine wines?
Vineyards near me
Use the Map View button to find vineyards near you in South East England.