Historic House / Palace
Cross the moat through the 14th-century gatehouse and enter the seven acres of beautiful gardens which surround this historic house.
Inside the house, furniture and artefacts trace the property’s religious origins and its development over 800 years. There are trails and hands-on activities indoors and out for all the family.
Outside, you can explore the medieval watermill, working forge, rope museum and dramatic Elizabethan Great Barn. Michelham Priory has plenty of free parking, a cafe, new playground and gift shop. There are also regular special events throughout the year.
Michelham Priory Reviews (from Google)
Average rating 4.6/5 from 5 reviews.
- They offered wheelchair and that also have a mobility scooter but there was only one avalible which another couple had. The wheel chairs where very hard to push around on the gravel and made it difficult to see all of the site. The grounds were lovely even for out of season and there was plenty of space in the dining room.
Night Shadow, 2016 - 4 stars
- Very interesting. Gardens nice even though out of season. Plenty to see and do
Shirley, 2017 - 4 stars
- Simply that it is a beautiful place, fabulous gardens, great shop and the Great Barn is really lovely.
Evelyn, 2017 - 5 stars
- Fantastic place, lots to look at (check out the on site blacksmith ) nice cafe with friendly staff (and ducks that kids will love ). Lots of history and whole room of paintings of Sussex scenes from the past. Not too hard to find off A22.
Mark, 2016 - 5 stars
- Very lovely place, it had a medieval festival at the time of visiting, very nice people, very nice show.
Paulius, 2016 - 5 stars
- Visit England Awards - Code of Practice 2012
- Quality Assured Visitor Attraction VB Attraction
Enjoy vistas of bluebells in 23 acres of ancient woodland. Walks and trails through three farms....1.05 miles away
Hailsham Pavilion combines a fully restored interior featuring high quality decor associated with...2 miles away
Horam Manor Farm Fishery comprises 9 coarse fishing lakes set in the secluded Sussex countryside.2.2 miles away
Farley Farm House offers you a warm welcome in the spirit of its former Surrealist occupants, the...2.64 miles away
The Long Man of Wilmington, Europe’s largest representation of the human form cut into the chalk of...3.19 miles away
The English Wine Centre has a selection of more than 140 English wines available in our dedicated...3.35 miles away
The Cuckoo Trail is 11 miles long joining three of the district’s towns, Heathfield, Hailsham and...3.38 miles away
Widely regarded as the best small zoo in the country Drusillas Park offers an opportunity to get...3.46 miles away
Top attractions in Sussex – many in the new South Downs National Park. We boast historic houses,...3.49 miles away
Stone Cross Garden Centre is an independent centre. We pride ourselves on having an extensive...4.22 miles away
Charleston, the home of the artists Duncan Grant and Vanessa Bell (sister of Virgina Woolf), became...4.38 miles away
The Clergy House is remarkable as an ordinary house surviving from the 14th century. It was...4.58 miles away
A classic downland experience with secret woodland glades
Blackcap, in East Sussex, occupies...5.34 miles away
Flower-rich chalk grassland with stunning views of the Cuckmere River
With fantastic views of...5.34 miles away
CLOSED FOR 2012
A Tudor house with Georgian additions in downland park setting. Important English...5.44 miles away
Herstmonceux is renowned for its magnificent moated castle, set in 550 acres of glorious parkland...5.47 miles away