Towns & Villages
Tel: +441304 201 066
Known as the Gateway to England, Dover welcomes millions of visitors each year. Come and explore it’s wealth of heritage and history, beautiful countryside and fantastic coastal views – there is plenty to discover!
Wander along the famous White Cliffs of Dover, why not take to the water and try an activity at the Sea Sports Centre, enjoy some retail therapy or simply relax in one of the many places to eat Dover has to offer.
- Wander along the top of the White Cliffs of Dover, looking out over the English Channel at the sailing boats, fishing vessels and huge ferries as they float by.
- Visit South Foreland Lighthouse. This historic building was the site of Faraday's work in pioneering the use of electricity in lighthouses, and was the first to display an electrically powered signal.
- Take a leisurely stroll to St. Margaret's Museum – a fascinating insight into local history.
- Situated above the White Cliffs of Dover, discover 2000 years of history at Dover Castle
- Take a ride onboard a steam train on the East Kent Railway – a four mile heritage railway running through some of Kent’s most beautiful countryside.
- Experience a unique and exhilarating coastal tour with Dover Sea Safari (add link) onboard a purpose built RIB speed boat.
- Discovered in 1970, visit the Roman Painted House, this exceptionally preserved Roman Villa with unique murals, underfloor heating and displays of Roman Dover.
- Visit one of the many museums, from a Georgian watermill to displays on local transport history and the award winning Bronze Age Boat Gallery at Dover Museum.
- Search the range of hotels, campsites and accommodation including the highly acclaimed Hawthorn Farm Caravan and Camping Park.
Linger a while in Dover itself and you'll discover a town that has been at the centre of important British historical events for centuries. You'll find everything from Battle of Britain artefacts, to the towering Dover Castle where French troops were held at bay in 1216. Later the evacuation of Dunkirk was planned from here in 1940.
Accommodation in Dover
There is plently of places to stay in area and Best Western Plus Dover Marina Hotel & Spa is just one of the highlights. The 4 star 81 room hotel is set in a Grade 2 listed Georgian Terrace building and commands stunning views across the Dover seafront with the famous castle in the background. Hawthorn Farm Caravan & Camping Park is situated within 28 acres of beautiful landscaped gardens, containing some 5000 established ornamental fruit and woodland trees providing an air of tranquility within some of the loveliest countryside in Kent. See the official tourism website for Dover on accommodation.
More information about Dover
The Maison Dieu, the oldest of the Town Hall buildings, was founded by Hubert de Burgh, then the...0.1 miles away
Discover 2000 years of history at Dover Castle! Step inside the Great Tower and immerse yourself in...0.54 miles away
The collection traces the history of the Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment through four and a...0.61 miles away
A unique family coastal tour like no other in Dover. Step aboard our comfortable RIB speedboat, the...0.65 miles away
Samphire Hoe is an amazing place, made from the material dug to create the Channel Tunnel, with...1 miles away
Magnificent coastal site overlooking the English Channel
There can be no doubt that the White...1.32 miles away
Take a journey into the past on a guided tour of Fan Bay Deep Shelter in the White Cliffs of Dover.1.38 miles away
A striking landmark on the White Cliffs of Dover, this historic building was the site of...2.81 miles away
The museum features changing displays on local history including Ian Fleming and Noel Coward....3.48 miles away
Organically grown Pines Garden situated behind the White Cliffs has six acres of many fine features...3.49 miles away
The National Memorial to the Few at Capel-le-Ferne, on the famous white cliffs between Dover and...5.14 miles away
This castle was built in 1540 as part of Henry Vlll's chain of coastal defences. See the Duke of...6.36 miles away
Folkestone Triennial 2014
30 August – 2 November
Internationally recognised...6.38 miles away
A new interpretation of the story of Folkestone with many hands-on features and archive film and an...6.45 miles away
Deal Castle is one of the finest artillery works in England; this fortress once carried 119 guns. ...7.43 miles away
Betteshanger Park in East Kent is an outstanding 250-acre Park offering miles of traffic free...7.76 miles away