If you’re planning a “staycation,” short family weekend break or searching for family day out ideas and things to do with kids, there’s no better place than the beautiful South of England.
Over recent years the South East has worked tirelessly to ensure it remains an ideal holiday destination with a magnitude of family attractions. With a multitude of blue flag beaches, hundreds of things to do while the sun is shining, great value holiday parks and free festivals and events; the South East offers parents and children an unforgettable UK holiday without breaking the bank.
What's on for families this weekend?
See our list of family events to see what's happening close to you this week and use the map view to find something nearby. There are many free things to do with attractions also putting on extra activities during school holidays and other special occasions.
Best fun family days out & things to do with kids in 2016
- Now it’s summer, enjoy a walk along the Thames Path National Trail, or choose a circular walk that starts from the river bank along the River Thames.
- Set your kids free in the outdoors this summer at Wakehurst with daily Super Sticky Summer drop in sessions celebrating all things sticky, from sticks and mud to slugs with crafts, science, storytelling, trails and games.
- This summer the Cliveden’s estate has oodles of activities for the whole family. Solve the maze, discover the woodlands trail or relax with a picnic next to the play area.
- At Fort Nelson, Kids will have loads of fun on our outdoor adventure course. Plus they can explore our massive Victorian fort with its tunnels, ramparts and museum galleries. There are over 350 big guns on display.
- Fontwell Park holds 24 race meetings each year, including the busiest fixture of the year on Boxing day. There is plenty to do for the whole family and don't forget to catch the family fun days.
- Goodwood House will explore the history of the Charlton Hunt and its association with the Dukes of Richmond. Documents from the Goodwood archive will be on display, along with rarely seen paintings of some of the second Duke of Richmond’s hunters.
- Pack up the family and embark on your voyage of discovery on the Isle of Wight. It's just a short hop and a skip across the Solent and you’ll be amazed at what’s waiting on the other side.
- If you're looking for some 'weather proof' family fun during the holidays, Rock Up is the ultimate adventure destination. With 26 indoor climbs suitable for children from the age of 4 - plus harnesses to fit mum and dad too.
- Beaulieu celebrates a summer of Shakespeare and historical activities 21 July - 4 September.
- Kids Menu at River Cottage Canteen Winchester. Three courses for just £7 with unlimited cordial and colouring in sheet to keep them entertained.
- With the summer ‘Splash Attack’ just opening again for the season. it’s the perfect place to cool down with the kids at Fishers Adventure Farm Park.
- Experience the South Coast’s most spectacular view - Emirates Spinnaker Tower! Discover the stories that surround you with our new film, touchscreens and audio guides. Venture across the amazing glass Sky Walk, 100 metres above the waves, and relax at Café in the Clouds.